Sunday, October 9, 2011

Cliffs and Chips



Sunset Cliffs is one of those places that makes me think California really is some kind of wonderland. It's wild and rugged and kind of scary and absolutely, unbelievably gorgeous.


There's a beach below the cliffs that looks amazing. All summer, while in Virginia, I thought about that beach and how great it would be to conquer my fear of heights (and my related fears of falling, pain, death, and embarrassment) and hang out there. Today was another beautiful day, perfect for a bike ride  to the cliffs. Our route to the cliffs was much hillier than anticipated and we ended up pushing our bikes as much as riding them. I made sure to note a much flatter option for next time.


See Z on the path? I swear (hope) it's much steeper than it looks. I think I made it about eight feet before freezing and assuming the "I'm terrified, crouching means I'll be safer" position. After I got back to the top, I watched a young boy scamper gleefully down to the beach.


Needing physical and spiritual nourishment after that disappointment, we headed down to Ranchos Cocina.



Z tried to get birds to take chips out of his hand by saying, "Who's brave? Who's brave?".  Apparently OB birds are cowards.

No comments:

Post a Comment