Friday, September 9, 2011

Pacific Shores


When you're unemployed and your partner is a grad student, going out isn't high on the list of priorities. Other things typically come first, like rent and clean laundry. I'm all for DIY but my yard-less apartment isn't really set up for doing laundry by hand and I do like clean sheets. So I love finding interesting places to grab a cheap drink without being surrounded by boisterous undergrads.


After an afternoon walk to Sunset Cliffs, Z and I decided to check out a bar on Newport Ave called Pacific Shores. The sign outside let us know that it had been in operation since 1941 (vintage!) and an older gentleman let us know the drinks were cheap (his words) and strong (his actions). We walked in around 3 on a Tuesday afternoon and stayed for an hour and half. The drinks were indeed cheap and strong but even more importantly, the bartender was friendly and the decor was pretty great. Those shells over the bar? Original! Z and I chose to sit in one of the booths. Each booth has a fluorescent painting of an ocean scene and my white skirt lit up in the blacklight. Love it! I can't wait to grab some of Z's classmates and take over a booth sometime soon. Cute cheap bar within walking distance? Come on!




No comments:

Post a Comment